I'm an existing student coming from lfscommunity.com. What do I need to know about the new Lights Film School?
If you joined Lights Film School before April 2017, then you may recall the transition to the LFS Community website. Informed by years of feedback from students, alumni, and indie film professionals, it was built from the ground up over the course of many months, resulting in a learning platform that was more intuitive, interactive, and beautiful than its predecessor, the Student Hub.
Now, we've done it again.
The New Lights Film School Educational Experience
Over the past year-and-a-half, you guys have been sharing your thoughts about the Lights Film School educational experience. We've distilled these thoughts - and combined them with a few of our own! - to arrive at the latest iteration of our approach to teaching you.
You'll find that Lights Film School is now powered by two distinct platforms.
- It's now even easier to find the content that matters to you. By popular demand, website navigation has been further simplified and streamlined, so as to keep the focus on learning and help everyone grasp how to get the most out of Lights Film School. A revised Introduction Module supports new and returning students as they get oriented.
- You'll have a much clearer idea of where you are in your studies. It's easy to see how much of the curriculum you've completed, and how much of it you still have to go. Progress tracking has been entirely revamped.
- We can focus even more on teaching you. With Teachable helping to manage the courses and Slack helping to manage the community, our team has greater capacity to do what matters most: teach you guys how to make films and music videos!
Teachable also opens the door to some exciting near-future possibilities, which we look forward to sharing with you down the line.
Where Can I Login?
HERE, using either a Lights Film School-specific account or a myTeachable account. To login for the first time, you'll need to reset your password using the email address associated with your LFS Community account. CONTACT US if you're not sure what this or have any trouble accessing your studies, and we'll get you sorted!
For the technically-inclined among us, Lights Film School's Teachable-powered courses are located at a new subdomain:
This is where you'll go every time you want to work on your studies.
Do I Have to Redo Things I Already Did on the Old Website?
In a word: no!
You do not need to redo or resubmit any assignments for which you've already received a review.
Nor do you need to go back and repeat course content that you've already worked through. Although you will have to find where you left off the first time you login, you can pick up right where you left off on the old website. Let us know if you're having trouble finding your place, and we'll be happy to help out!
Where Can I Learn About Everything that's New?
Change can be difficult, but we sincerely hope that you like the latest iteration of Lights Film School.
If you're not sure where to start, then we strongly recommend reviewing your course's revised introduction, since it includes a comprehensive overview of how everything works:
- HERE is the introduction to the Filmmaking Course.
- HERE is the introduction to the Music Video Course.
It's essentially a step-by-step guide to get you up and running quickly and painlessly.
Contact us with any questions, of course, and we'll be happy to help.
Looking forward to connecting in the community!
✨ The Lights Film School Team